Wednesday, September 14, 2011

sophie's first paintings | my mini-human | little free radical

So, I was on the bus Saturday, running errands when a passenger saw this canvas painting I was holding since I was running to the store to scan it. The passenger complimented me, telling me "what a great job I did."

I immediately told the person that I didn't make it, my daughter did - and he looked even more surprised. But his stop came and he got off the bus...



So, I'm totally not sure if he assumed that because:
  1. I'm in a wheelchair, my artistic ability is limited to fingerprinting  - or -  
  2. Because Sophie is that great of an artist that her work can be mistaken as a painting by a 30-year-old.
He did seem rather shocked when I explained my daughter made it. Of course that could support reason #2 and that we might see her art hanging in a museum some day.... or we could be back to the wheelchair issue - and he was shocked by the fact being I am in a wheelchair, and have a child. Who knows, but I'm doubting I gave birth to a mini-picasso! Such is a typical day in the life of a mom on wheels. :)

 - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

But yes, this IS Sophie's painting. I was trying to come up with a great first Fathers Day Gift back in June when I was at Michael's getting supplies to finish a customer order... Sophie started grabbing at a canvas display when I realized that painting a canvas would be fun! So we got a 2pk of 12x12" canvases, some non-toxic acrylic paint, and went out in the grass and let her go at it in a diaper! She even made a 2nd painting for her grandmother in India:


She had a blast. I'd put a little paint on the canvas and then she'd go at it. Once she was 'done' with each little bit she'd sit and wait for me to give her a little more. Once the whole canvas was painted she didn't want paint any more - even when I tried to add more paint!

She did pretty good! no paint in the eyes or hair! When she was done, we carried her inside and gave her a bath - the paint peeled right off! :)


Here's a video of my future little etsy seller hard at work on her first paintings:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...